Tuesday 29 June 2010

The Passing of Many Moons

So just over 2 years ago I started this blog. I never thought I would have kept it up for so long. Granted I haven't been the most consistent of bloggers but my point is that I'm still here. I've come a long way since I first entered the world of blogging and I would like to thank my readers for being around (I promise not to make this a tacky acceptance speech for an award I haven't even received). A few days ago one of my new readers (Benny, he's new to blogging. Click here to check out his blog, it's nice) asked me how I got into styling. It's a pretty long story but I'll give you a rundown of the best bits...

2005 I had just finished secondary school. My GCSE grades were good but they were not good enough for me to go to the college that I wanted to attend (it was one of the best in the country). This is down to the fact that I didn't study (I was to busy defending my throne of popularity). My initial plan was to study English Literature, English Language and Music Technology. I wanted to be a singer/songwriter and producer. This in my opinion was never going to happen due to the fact that I didn't make it into the college of my choice so after a lot of wallowing in depression I decided to apply for another college (one of the roughest in London. Someone got stabbed on the first day). I initially applied for both the music course and the fashion course. In the end I chose fashion because I was to shy to audition for the music course.

Little did I know, that shyness would have a massive effect on my life...

So I ended up studying fashion. At first it was great but then in my second (and final) year it turned sour. I went from being star pupil to the black sheep of the class. My main tutor hated me and the feeling was mutual. I failed the course. I knew I was going to fail and for that reason I went and started working part time as a tailoring assistant while I was studying. It's funny because I was learning so much more there than I was while I was in college which just goes to show that the system for creative education doesn't work effectively. So anyway college finished and I left with no qualifications but I still had my job at the tailors so I stayed there for a while. My time there totalled a year when an internship opportunity at SuperSuper magazine opened up. I went for it and I got it (because I'm amazing!). On August the 16th 2007 I started out as an intern. By October 4th 2007 I was the fashion coordinator.

That is basically how I got into this side of the industry...

Since leaving SuperSuper in 2009 I've gone on to work with a number of brands, celebrity clients and magazines. It really has just been a case of networking with the right people. I'm a Pisces born in the year of the snake, I'm naturally charming. In this industry that's all you really need. Make the people love you and they'll give you the world. How do you think I manage to stock my wardrobe?

I do love what I do but there are a lot of things I hate about this industry. I won't go into detail because there's no need to. There are loads of things I love about this industry too. It's not for everyone but if you make it your own you'll be fine.


P.S
Sorry for the essay, I know you people don't like reading much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"I may not agree with what you say but I'll defend to the death your right to say it".