Sunday 10 August 2008

The Hip-Hop Crown Jewels Auction

A few months back I was lucky enough to attend Swarovskis' Runway Rocks event which was absolutely amazing. Now, when I walked into the venue I was so overwhelmed with excitement that I didn't even pay any attention to the small glass cabinet that was by the stairs. It was only after the show (and a substantial amount of alcohol) when I was on my way out, I realized that this cabinet contained a selection of some of hip-hops' finest Jewels. The sexy lady behind the cabinet kindly informed me that these beauties were going to be up for auction at the Philips de Pury gallery in New York. She began telling me about the whole event and how it will feature around 50 pieces worn by the likes of 50 Cent, MC Lyte, Kanye West, Sean "Diddy" Combs, Biz Markie, Missy Elliot, Notorious B.I.G, and so on and so on. She also mentioned that Pharrells' multicolored pave diamond Gucci link necklace was going to be included in the auction (which would explain why when I interview and shot him for the September issue of SUPERSUPER he wasn't wearing it). I nearly burst into tears. It was all just a little too much for my drunken mind to handle. So I stumbled outside and lit a cigarette.

Here are some pictures.


Hip-Hops' Crown Jewels


This headphones pendant Belonged to Biz Markie



I believe this watch belonged to Notorious B.I.G


This is Missy Elliot's ring


This is the ring that brought me to tears. It belonged to the late great Tupac Shakur.


Now onto the serious business. The lady that I was speaking with also mentioned that Lil' Jon's "Crunk Ain't Dead" necklace would be featuring in the auction too.

However, what that bitch failed to mention, and I am quite upset that she didn't is that this was going to be up for grabs as well...


Yeah that's right!



I totally just shit my pants when I saw this.
It's Slick Rick's diamond encrusted eye patch. If it where mine I would wear it every single day for the rest of my life. What burns me the most isn't only the fact that I cannot at present afford this masterpiece but the fact that whoever buys it probably wont even wear it.



I think I'm ready to die now. Just give me a cigarette and a glass of elderflower and gin.



p.s
A portion of proceeds from the sale will benefit Russell Simmons' Rush Philanthropic Arts Foundation, the Hip Hop Summit Action Network and the Diamond Empowerment Fund.

6 comments:

  1. BLING BABY
    I WANT TUPAC'S RING
    MIGHT BID FOR IT.....YEA RIGHT!!

    LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read about this somewhere, but there was no mention of Slick Rick's eye patch! If only I was rich beyond my wildest dreams.

    I stumbled across your blog and am really enjoying it. As a woman, I love getting a chic man's perspective on style, and your blog is great. I hope you don't mind if I add a link to it on my own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. god i love those blingblings ! so funny ! the first one is my fave ! it looks so pharrel williams !

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! gimme gimme...must have bling!!...damn u shallow pockets! I need a sugar daddy innit....booo hooo

    ReplyDelete

"I may not agree with what you say but I'll defend to the death your right to say it".